Saturday, July 19, 2008

Random Thoughs On A Saturday Afternoon

* My son will stay in his bed all night, every night, and he does not dare get out. In fact, if he drops an essential item (i.e. the damn paci we are fighting to get rid of) out of his bed, he will call for us to retrieve it rather than getting out of bed and grabbing it himself. But naps, oh they are a different story. We typically spend most of Saturday afternoon trying to coax Mr. O away from his toys/books/animals/window perch, and back into his bed to sleep. Often after a few hours I'll peek in to find him sitting in bed surrounded by at least 50 books completely awake. This afternoon I had a stroke of genius and decided to break out the pack n' play for nap time. He was completely out in 5 minutes. We may be onto something here folks.



* This morning I nursed Baby E (something I'm still doing occasionally) because he was super fussy and nothing was calming him down. A few hours later he had a poopy that was distinctly recognizable as breast-milk poop. In the midst of changing his poopy diaper I realized that while I may not be able to pull off exclusively breastfeeding him, I love knowing and seeing that he is still getting some of my milk, and the benefits therefrom. Perhaps we can find a balance amidst all the extremes.



* I have decided to run a 1/2 marathon in January in Key West. My body has spent almost two of the last three years nurturing and growing two amazing little boys, but I need to use that same body to nurture myself. I figure the training will force me to spend some time on me, something I'm finding nearly impossible to do. Of course, the fact that I found a scenic run in Key West where I can also carve out a few vacation days, and enjoy a few fruity cocktails beach-side doesn't hurt the motivation.

3 comments:

Quigs78 said...

So if you do a marathon in Key West, instead of having people hand you dixie cups of water along the way, do they hand you mojitos and pina coladas?

Cause I might jog a little for that.

:) Welcome to the blogosphere.

SunnyD said...

LOL. We tried the pack n play when naptime became a pain in the ass. X-man just jumped out of it. Instead, at like 2 p.m. (after trying the normal stuff) on Saturday and Sunday, we have to put him in the car and drive for 15 minutes...

Then he's out like a light. Go figure. 2 year olds.

I'm walking in the 5k on Sept 20 with the Champaign Park District. I think Lemonade might either run or walk it too... just in case you're interested as you start your training.

Lindsay said...

Quigs-thanks for the welcome, and as for the marathon, that's what I'm hoping. I figure it will make the running less painful.

Looseyfur-I'd love to join you guys for the 5K. I'm sure the driving thing would work for us as well, but I'm pretty sure he would wake up during any attempts to transfer him which would in turn leave me pissed that I wasted the gas. You just can't win, huh?